Permits and Licenses

Sport Hunting and Fishing Licenses, along with king stamps and big game tags, can be purchased online at the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. They can also be purchased in person in Kodiak or Anchorage if you have time as you are passing through.

King salmon are caught year round, so if you plan to do any fishing, we recommend that you have a king tag.

Kodiak Combos provides Big Game Transport service for big game hunts. In these self-guided hunts, Kodiak Combos will drop you off in the morning and pick you up in the evening from your desired hunting location.

Non-Alaska resident U.S. Citizens can utilize Kodiak Combos for Sitka Black Tail Deer transports.

Alaska Residents can utilize Kodiak Combos as a transporter for your big game hunts, including draw and registration hunts.

Citizens of foreign countries are required to be accompanied in the field by a Registered Licensed Big Game Guide for any big game animal, including Sitka Black Tail Deer.

Specific tags are required to harvest deer, goat, and bear. Some tags must be picked up in person in Kodiak at the local ADFG office.

For those hunting Sitka Black Tail Deer, if you wish to hunt on Sitkalidak Island, you must obtain a land use permit from Old Harbor Native Corporation, with proceeds to benefit the Old Harbor Scholarship Fund. Permits are available locally in Old Harbor and cost $150. Permits are also available for purchase for bear hunting.

If you wish to hunt fox, which come in 3-phases, red, black and cross, you must have a big game hunting license, which provides for 2 fox per day.

Requirements for Duck Hunting include a State and Federal Duck Stamp, in addition to an ADFG Small Game Hunting License. State of Alaska duck stamps can be purchased online and Federal Duck Stamps are available, generally, where hunting and fishing licenses are sold.

Non-residents are allowed 4 of each species for sea ducks.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game online store